mercredi, août 15, 2007

Happy Mondays


Former Happy Mondays Star Pays Tribute To Tony Wilson.

by Daniel Zugna - August 15 2007
photo by Tim Cashmere

Shaun Ryder of Happy Mondays
Shaun Ryder of Happy Mondays


Former Happy Mondays drummer Paul Ryder has paid tribute to the late Tony Wilson, describing the Manchester music icon as a "patron saint" for the city.

"Everything I've got in my wonderful life now I owe to two people: Mr Derek Ryder Senior, and my other dad, Anthony H Wilson," Ryder said.

"He took a chance on a bunch of lads in a band, gave us his faith when everyone else was telling us we were rubbish, and catapulted us with his enthusiasm into the heart of the phenomenon that was, and to some extend still is, Madchester.

"The fantastic city of Manchester is the way it is today because of him, his vision, his energy and his fearlessness. To say he will be sorely missed is a serious understatement.

"Manchester has just lost its Patron Saint – but I'm certain St Peter will have had him on the guest list, and I can just imagine him wafting past him saying, 'Thank you, darling'."