dimanche, mars 12, 2006

Up in It

Liz Phair struts her stuff, Anthony Kiedis has an Oasis moment

Liz Phair Photo

Hot on the catwalk

Liz Phair, supermodel? The singer-songwriter made her catwalk debut in Los Angeles recently as part of a GM pre-Academy Awards showcase for cars, fashion and music. If it sounds surreal for the architect of Exile in Guyville to be strolling down the runway alongside Lindsay Lohan, Mischa Barton, Eva Longoria and Carmen Electra, Phair thought the same thing at first. "I was kind of shocked," she says of the invitation to participate. "'You want me to do what, and no guitar?'" She was impressed with some of her runway-mates, though. "Jeremy Piven not only stole the show -- he stole it and, like, re-licensed it to another country." . . .

The Tool- and Depeche Mode-helmed Coachella is rapidly approaching, but Anthony Kiedis, of former headliners Red Hot Chili Peppers, took a moment to reflect when he checked out the premiere of the Coachella documentary. "They chose a pretty great selection of bands to cover," he chimed in. As for the behind-the-scenes interviews, his favorite? "I got a big kick out of the Liam Gallagher cynicism. Pretty hysterical." . . .

On the big-screen tip, had the chance to hang recently with She's the Man star (and new Liz Smith "It" girl) Amanda Bynes, who says music is a big influence on her. "I cannot imagine life without it!" she swooned. But the girl's tastes are all over the map: "I love Coldplay, Ryan Adams -- and Kelly Clarkson! She makes music girls can relate to. She's like a strong woman for women." . . .

Speaking of strong women for women -- or not so much -- hooked up with Papa Roach. The rockers have been in L.A. recording their new album with producer Howard Benson, who worked the boards for the band's Getting Away With Murder record. "We did a great record with him last time," said lead singer Coby Dick. "We came up with huge choruses and big rock songs, and he really pushed me as a vocalist as far as I'd go." Expect more of the same this time around . . .

Also hard at work on her vocal chops is Marla Sokoloff, formerly a co-star of The Practice and lead singer of the now-defunct Smittin. "We've all gone in our directions now," said Sokoloff, who has just released her own record, Grateful. As for her musical direction, we might be able to glean a preview from her tastes. "I love the Like and Sia -- I just got that record. Um, I like vagina music." . . .

The reigning queen of said genre, Alanis Morissette, shared that she might have a new act to bring on the road. "I can do little tarot reading based on my songs," said the singer-songwriter. "You tell me your favorite song, and I'll tell you a little bit about you," she laughed. As for people who like her song "Hands Clean": "It means you're very dialogical. You can hold some pretty complex concepts in a very short amount of time, and you don't get lost." And "You Owe Me Nothing in Return"? "I can tell what phase they're in, in terms of their spiritual journey." If Morissette doesn't take her tarot act to a venue near you, perhaps she could put a self-help spin on her upcoming memoir? "I'll have people write in," she laughed. "It's so fucking self-absorbed though -- I'd cringe after about the first page." . . .

Steve Baltin @ Rolling Stone